Sunday, September 30, 2007

Copenhagen and Gothenburg

Three days ago I was in Copenhagen for two days. The hostel I stayed at was great. In the morning they had a breakfast buffet, that I would gorge myself at so that I would not have to eat until dinner. This did not work as well as I had hoped, by lunch time I was hungry again. Most of the first day consisted of walking around the city. I saw some interesting architecture, but nothing that stood out. The second day in Copenhagen was much better. I met up with a guy named Dave from New York who went to Tulane University. We went to Carlsburg brewery, largest brewer in Europe, for a tour. We were annoyed that the guide book said the tour was free when it actually wasn't, but it turned out alright since the beer we drank was more expensive than the ticket. That afternoon we headed up to Helsingburg to go visit the castle from Hamlet. This place was beautiful, it was right along the coast and you could see Sweden on the other side of the sea. The castle was also the location of were Hans Christian Anderson wrote most of his fairytales. As we were heading back to Copenhagen we stopped by a grocery store to buy meat and cheese for sandwhiches.

After Copenhagen I was planning on going to northern Denmark to a small town called Skagen. It is known for it sandy beaches and dunes. I was excited for this retreat from the big towns, but it did not work out since I could not get incontact with the hostels there. I ended up looking for hostels in Stockholm, but to no avail. The next morning I booked a hostel in Gothenburg, Sweden and headed there about an hour later. Gothenburg was just a big new city, so there was not much history or interesting buildings. Instead most of the building were built in the seventies, so it was rather ugly. I did get to walk around for a while and see what the people there do. I really did not feel any different than Chicago.

1 comment:

Mom said...

So glad you are having the adventure of your life.

We miss you!
Love, MOM